Does your dog display certain symptoms like a runny nose, constant sneezing, and difficulty breathing after eating his dog food? Then your canine might be suffering from a food allergy. It’s harder to tell when a dog is allergic because of all the fur, but if its face or body swells or has redness on its skin, then seek a vet immediately. Is your dog allergic to your cheap dog food? Then it’s about time to invest in more expensive but worthwhile hypoallergenic dog food brands for the healthiness of your canine. With that said, there are more than a couple things you should know when shopping for hypoallergenic dog food that’s worthwhile to your dog’s diet. First off, you should be aware of what your dog is allergic to so that you know which foods to avoid.
Dog Allergy 101
- Your dog might be allergic to rice or corn. You should therefore eliminate as many ingredients from your dog food to ensure that there isn’t one or another food content that’s making your pet act up. Take note that the most hypoallergenic dog food brands are those that are free of artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, chemicals, and binders. It’s no coincidence that these substances are usually the root cause of your dog’s allergy.
- It’s rare for a dog to have, for example, a peanut (butter) allergy or a cornstarch allergy but it’s likely to have allergies when it comes to artificial food chemicals that aren’t part of the original meats that your dog food is composed of. As a result, your all-natural hypoallergenic dog food tends to be more expensive and has a shorter shelf life (exactly because it doesn’t use as much preservatives as traditional dog food) but it’s worth its value.
- Your dog could also have allergies related to gluten and wheat (just like with humans since we’re both mammals). Also, you should universally disallow or prevent your pets from eating chocolate, grapes, or raisins since those are poisonous to them (especially when it comes to higher doses). They’ll get more than an allergic reaction from those foods. If your dog has eaten any of those, contact your vet or feed them a monogastric drug like hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.